So decadent and delicious, you’d never suspect that these Dark Chocolate Coconut Bites – a Hail Merry Copycat recipe – are totally guilt-free!
A couple months ago I got the best surprise ever: an Instacart delivery man showed up at my door on one random Friday afternoon. When he said, “delivery for Leah” I was quite confused as I hadn’t ordered anything, but he insisted that it was, indeed, for me. Ends up that one of my fabulous friends who lives in the DC area decided that I needed a little pick-me-up on a random Friday afternoon, and had a bunch of my most favorite treats – all gluten, dairy, and soy-free – hand-delivered to me.
Kombucha, clementines, Hail Merry Dark Chocolate Bites (OMG), gluten-free pretzels, chocolate bars – does this girl know me or what?
MY FRIENDS ARE THE SWEETEST, just in case you were wondering.
Of all the things in the bag, my most favorite was the dark chocolate bites – they were like little bites of heaven and totally habit forming. I gobbled them all down in no time flat.
The only problem? When I went to stock back up at Whole Foods I learned that those little cuties are not cheap. [Extra proof that my friends rock.]
Since the name of our game these days is “Ballin’ on a Budget” – you guys, child care costs are insaaaaane – but I couldn’t even begin to fathom living a without these bites, something had to be done.
As has happened a time or twelve before, the sleeves got rolled up, the apron was thrown on, and I after quite a few iterations and countless taste tests (such a tough life), I can proudly say that I nailed it.
I did make one tiny improvement to the Hail Merry bites: I rolled the Dark Chocolate Coconut Bites in more coconut after they were prepared. The Hail Merry bites that these were inspired by are just coconut on the inside, but when has more coconut ever been a bad thing? I’ll take all I can get, please and thanks.
Besides making these bites even cuter, the extra coconut also keeps your fingers a little cleaner. I already deal with enough stickiness and food smudges on the daily – toddler mom life! – that enjoying these snacks without having to wash my hands for literally the 85 millionth time of the day is a major, major victory.
Oh and did I mention that these are no bake and don’t require any fancy kitchen equipment (assuming you can find the very finely shredded coconut flakes at the store)? Stir, stir, stir, roll, refrigerate is all these little gems take to go from nothin’ to a very special somethin’. Only two dirty bowls required!
AND they’re completely “clean”, made with only whole, real ingredients. Dairy-free, refined sugar-free, gluten-free, soy-free. How many chocolatey indulgent treats can claim that, in addition to being the most habit-forming things to come out of my kitchen in ages? Almost none.
So, tell me: what are your favorite copycat recipes? This might just top my list.
- 1 ¼ cup unsweetened finely shredded* coconut (sometimes called dessicated) + ¼ cup extra for garnish
- 1 tablespoon almond meal or almond flour
- 2 ½ tablespoons cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl, combine the unsweetened finely shredded coconut, almond meal, cocoa powder, and salt, mixing well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the melted coconut oil, pure maple syrup, and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring constantly until the mixture is uniform throughout.
- Form the dough into ¾ - 1 inch balls by rolling the dough between two hands, then roll in the reserved ¼ cup of finely shredded coconut, for garnish, and place on a cookie sheet or plate.
- Once all the dough has been formed into balls, refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before eating.
- Store the Dark Chocolate Coconut Bites in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to one week, and enjoy!
On instagram? Be sure to follow me, tag me in your posts, and use #grainchanger for a chance to be featured!