Packed with rich cinnamon churro flavor, this gluten-free churro puppy chow is the perfect treat for your Cinco de Mayo festivities!
What happens when you see snapchat after snapchat of a friend vacationing in Mexico eating churro after delicious churro?
You get a major hankering for churros. It’s scientifically proven.
Only problem? Churros aren’t exactly easy to come by, especially when you’re gluten-free. What’s a girl to do? Frantically look around her house for ANY WAY she can possibly recreate churro flavor, without actually having to attempt a gluten-free churro, to satisfy the unrelenting craving.
The result? A glorious churro puppy chow concoction.
This churro puppy chow is packed with rich cinnamon sugar flavor, and is SO good it’ll have you wondering: “who even bothers with real churros anyhow?” Okay, that might be a sliiiight stretch – I mean, we are comparing this to fried dough (does it get any better?) – BUT, it’s pretty stinking close.
It definitely had me salsa dancing around my kitchen for hours on end.
Cinnamon, sugar, and white chocolate enveloping crispy crunchy cereal – how can that NOT make you want to dance?
And while it’s not exactly a healthy snack (um, at all) at least they’re not deep fried like actual churros! Which means I can feel a little bit better about downing a half batch in one sitting in “pre Cinco de Mayo celebration” right?
…and please tell me that I’m not the only one who turns Cinco de Mayo into a week long excuse to eat all of the Mexican goodies I can possibly get my hands on. Tomatillo Salsa Verde, Slow-Cooker Salsa Verde Beef Tacos, Gluten-Free Margarita Bars, Mango Avocado Salsa – it’s ALL going down this week.
Best [food] week ever? Quite possibly.
Of course, my favorite thing about this puppy chow (or muddy buddies – tom-aye-toe, tom-ah-toe) is how simple it is to make.
[[Anyone else sensing a pattern? Quick & easy is my jam.]]
Whipping up a batch takes no more than 5 minutes, and that’s only if you are moving at a snail’s pace. You just have to make the cinnamon sugar(s) mixture, pour some gluten-free rice squares in a bowl, melt some white chocolate, coat the cereal with it, and then stir in the cinnamon sugar mixture. THAT’S IT.
No excuses to showing up to your next fiesta empty handed!
PS – If you love puppy chow as much as I do (breakfast, lunch, and dinner, please!) be sure to check out my pal Lynn’s AMAZING Puppy Chow cookbook, The Chow Down. At this point I’ve tried at least half of the recipes and I swear each one is absolute perfection!
Happy Churro de Mayo, friends!!
- 5 cups rice chex cereal
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon + 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- Pour rice cereal into a very large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, thoroughly combine powdered sugar, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and ground cinnamon.
- In a microwave safe bowl, microwave the white chocolate chips in 30 second increments, stopping to stir between each heating (one minute total did the trick for me). Once the chocolate is completely melted and no lumps remain after stirring, pour the white chocolate over the rice cereal, mixing very well to evenly coat all squares.
- Moving quickly. Sprinkle the sugar cinnamon mixture over the chocolate coated cereal, and stir until all of the cereal is evenly coated, gently breaking up cereal chunks that may form.
- Transfer to a large piece of parchment paper to cool and set.