Dessert flavor for breakfast? Yes please! Both sweet and tart, these Gluten-Free Key Lime Donuts are the best of all worlds.
The best way to start the week after one of the best weekends ever? With donuts, duh. Because Mondays are roughly 5,000% easier to face when donuts are involved.
No, really. It’s proven. I made the hypothesis, did a LOT of experiments and testing (tough job, I know) and now it’s basically scientific fact 😉
This past weekend Anthony and I traveled down to Virginia for a baby shower thrown for me by my mom, MIL, SILs, and niece. It was beyond perfect. I’m still reeling. “Baby M”, Anthony and I are blessed to have such an amazing family, and friends who are essentially family. There are no words.
In an effort to ease into Monday, and keep the typical the Monday low-lows at bay after a weekend filled with such high-highs, I knew I had to whip up something cheery and fresh on Sunday night to indulge in Monday morning. And better treat in the summer than something key lime pie-ish?
Sure, I could have made an actual key lime pie (speaking of which – I still need to share my fool proof recipe with you!) but while my tastebuds would have been all kinds of happy, I probably would have felt a tad guilty eating pie for breakfast (not that it hasn’t happened a time or 10,000). Key lime donuts are obviously the better, healthier alternative. 😉
Ok, ok, not healthy at all. Especially with that mind-blowing slathering of key lime glaze and sprinkling of graham cracker crumble. But at least they’re baked and not fried? Any excuse I can make…. Especially on a Monday.
So here’s the ONE wrinkle with key-lime anything. Juicing key limes is DEFINITELY a labor of love. Worth the extra effort? ABSOLUTELY. The flavor can’t be matched. Painstaking? To say the very least…
I usually NEVER compromise when it comes to the real, home squeezed stuff vs. the bottled stuff. But, considering that we’re closing on a house this week, moving this upcoming weekend (with a TON of packing left to do), PLUS had a car full of beautiful baby loot to unload, time was at a premium so I (GASP) used the bottled version, but in the donut batter only. Much to my surprise, these were PACKED with real key lime flavor. Shortcut, FTW!
I DID, however, juice a few real key limes for the glaze. Absolutely do NOT compromise here! You need the zest anyways, so why not juice a few key limes while you’re at it? Easy peasy, in the grand scheme of things.
Another secret weapon in keeping things super simple? Use high-quality gluten-free flours and products that don’t require any extra fuss or stress. Pamela’s Product’s All-Purpose Flour Artisan Blend is always my go-to pre-prepared gluten-free flour blend, and I always have a few bags stashed in my pantry at all times. Everything you could need for a cup-to-cup swap is included in the blend (no need for the addition of xanthun gum, for example) and the texture is PERFECT. Major love.
I also didn’t have any of my homemade gluten-free graham crackers on hand, but knew these key lime donuts needed some graham cracker flour in the batter and also a little graham flair on the top to really capture the full key lime pie effect. Thankfully I had a box of Pamela’s Honey Graham Crackers handy and they were JUST what these donuts needed. So much grahamy goodness!
Monday, you’re still not my favorite. But THANK YOU to these glorious gluten-free key lime donuts for making the day as sweet and tolerable as possible.
- 1 cup Pamela’s All-Purpose Flour Artisan Blend
- ¼ cup Pamela’s Honey Graham Crackers, blended to make a flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup greek yogurt
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime zest
- 1 teaspoon key lime juice
- ½ teaspoon gluten-free vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 ½ Tablespoons fresh key lime juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime zest
- Crushed Gluten-Free Graham Crackers
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly spray a donut pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine Pamela’s All-Purpose Flour Artisan Blend, Pamela’s Honey Graham Cracker “flour”, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In another large bowl, cream together the granulated sugar, brown sugar, and coconut oil. Beat in the greek yogurt and egg. Stir in the lime zest. Key lime juice, and vanilla extract.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing well. Pipe the dough into the prepared donut pan.
- Bake at 425 degrees F for 5 minutes, then lower the temperature to 350 degrees F and continue to bake for another 7 minutes, or until the donuts are lightly golden.
- Remove the donuts from the oven and transfer to a wire cooling rack.
- Once donuts are cool, combine the powdered sugar, fresh key lime juice, and fresh lime zest in a shallow, wide bowl to make the glaze. Dip the donuts into the glaze, and then top with crushed gluten-free graham crackers, if desired.
This recipe was developed in partnership with Pamela’s Products. All opinions are 100% my own!
On instagram? Be sure to follow me and tag your recipes #grainchanger so I can see the recipes you make! ?