A perfect taste of the tropics! This dairy-free, Gluten-Free Pineapple Coconut Banana Bread will absolutely whisk you away to a warmer, sunnier day (in spirit, at least!)
Gluten-Free Coconut Pineapple Banana Bread – the cure for all of your Where-The-Heck-Is-Summer / I-Need-A-Vacation / Rain-Rain-Go-Away / Post-Vacation-Re-entry blues.
After our PHENOMENAL vacation/baby moon to Paris/Barcelona last week, I’m definitely firmly in the latter category. While the weather in Paris left quite a bit to be desired, the weather in Barcelona couldn’t have been more perfect – 75 degrees, clear skies, a light breeze, and OH SO sunny ?. I miiiiight be seriously contemplating moving and being a beach bum there for the rest of my life. Wish I was kidding.
Imagine my joy at returning home to downpours here in Philly, and a cool 56 degrees ?. Since mother nature wasn’t doing me any favors in the sunshine category, to which I found myself wildly addicted over the last week, I decided I had to
make bake some of my own.
And bake some of my own, I certainly did! Sure, I should probably be on a vacation detox and making a summery salad instead, but sometimes (always?) a baked good is the only remedy for post-vacation blues.
PS – lots of delicious summery salads are planned to come your way soon – GET EXCITED – but until then, let’s bask in the gloriousness that is soft, pillowy, tropical-flavor packed quick bread. It’s not like bikini season is a few days away or anything 😉 #ignoranceisbliss
When I was whipping up this gluten-free quick bread, Anthony definitely gave me a few crooked looks and accused me of putting the entire tropical kitchen sink into the bread. But you know who wasn’t complaining upon first (and second, and third, and tenth) slice? One guess. 😉
When you’re going for recreating SUNSHINE you simply have to pull out all the stops. Namely pineapple and coconut. Who’s with me? (Anthony is 110% sheepishly raising his hand right now, BTW ?)
And when you’re dealing with pineapple and coconut, you obviously have to use them as much and in every way as humanly possible. Hence the pineapple glaze and extra toasted coconut topping.
OH YES. I went there. And I might never go back.
While this gluten-free pineapple coconut banana bread may sound high-maintenance (quite the mouthful of a title, isn’t it?) I promise it’s a cinch to make. In fact, the base isn’t too far off from my epic gluten-free walnut chocolate chip banana bread. You’ll just swap out some banana for canned, crushed pineapple (I always have some on hand!) and toss in some shredded coconut in place of the walnuts and chocolate chips. I mean, if I can make this out of pure desperation pre-post-vacation grocery store run, you can totally handle it too.
Side note: shout out to baby brain for making me forget to grab the bananas off the counter on our way out the door for vacation. Happy accidents, my friends. Happy accidents.
While our next vacation might be a ways away (I’m looking at YOU, European cruise summer of 2017!), and up and moving to Barcelona isn’t exactly in the cards for us right now, at least I have this Gluten-Free Pineapple Coconut Banana Bread to whisk me away to warmer, brighter, sunshiney-er days. It’s all about perspective, I suppose.
Grab a slice, and come away with me!
- === PINEAPPLE COCONUT BANANA BREAD ===
- ½ cup over-ripe bananas, mashed (2 small or one large)
- ¾ cup crushed pineapple, drained
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup coconut oil (canola or vegetable oil would also work well too)
- 1 egg
- ½ t. vanilla extract
- 1½ cups all-purpose gluten free flour blend (+ ¾ t. Xanthun gum if your flour blend doesn't include it)
- 1½ t. baking powder
- ½ t. baking soda
- ½ t. salt
- 1 t. cinnamon
- ¾ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- === PINEAPPLE GLAZE ===
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon pineapple juice
- ½ cup toasted shredded coconut
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and coat a 9inch x 5inch loaf pan with cooking spray or grease on all sides.
- In a bowl, combine sugar, oil, bananas and crushed pineapple. Beat in egg. Mix in vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, xanthun gum, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon, then mix into wet ingredients. Stir unsweetened coconut flakes.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan. Let the dough REST at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let the bread cool for at least 15 minutes before removing from pan and transferring to a cooking rack. Let the bread cool for at least 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the powdered sugar and pineapple juice to make the glaze, and then drizzle over the cooled loaf, and then sprinkle the toasted coconut on top.