Cake turned cookie! These Gluten-Free Red Velvet Crinkle cookies are a delightful treat (perfect for Valentine’s day!) and they’re so decadent you’d never guess that they’re dairy-free, too!
Any big Valentine’s Day plans?
For us, it will probably be a day just like any other. THANKS, KID. (Joking!)
To be honest, we’re not really Valentine’s Day people. I’m not one for forced romance, so flowers and chocolate mean more to me just about any other day if the year (but there better be another day of the year, if you know what I’m sayin’ 😉 )
HOWEVER I am one who will take any excuse to whip up a slightly fancier than usual dinner (helloooo filet mignon!) and bake a festive treat or two.
As you may remember, Anthony loooooves Red Velvet anything (and I looooove him) so I figured making him a batch of festive cookies in his most favorite flavor for v-day would be a nice nod to the “holiday” and a sweet (pun intended) way to show him that I love him.
Sure, I could whip him up a batch of my semi-famous gluten-free red velvet waffles, but mornings look a bit different these days with a baby in the house
… and these cookies freeze remarkably well.
((IF HE ASKS, THESE COOKIES WERE BAKED FRESH ON FEB 14th. There’s only so much this mama/wife can pull off these days))
These are also cookies that (almost) everyone can love! They’re gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, nut-free but 200% flavor FULL.
And the texture! Whoooa mama, the texture. They’re perfectly soft, dense, cakey (without being too cakey), and fudgey (without being too fudgey). They basically live in that perfect little space where cakes meet cookies meet brownies.
Three dessert textures wrapped in one little package? Be still my heart. I don’t think I could LOVE these cookies any more.
If you’re NOT on the dairy-free train (lucky, lucky you) I can only imagine how delightfully decadent these cookies would be with a quick cream cheese glaze drizzled over the top (use the recipe in my Red Velvet Waffles post!). Or you could use them to make ice cream sandwiches.
Mmmm…. One day….
However you spend it, I hope your valentines day is full of love. And cookies. Lots and lots of cookies. (Gluten-Free Red Velvet Crinkle, to be exact).
- ½ cup dairy-free butter, softened
- ¾ cup packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tablespoon dairy-free milk (I used almond milk)
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon red food coloring
- 1 and ½ cups gluten-free all purpose flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- Cream together the dairy-free butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar. Add in the egg, milk, and vanilla, mixing until fully incorporated. Then add in the red food coloring and mix well, until the wet ingredients are uniformly colored, stopping to thoroughly scrape the bowl from time to time.
- In a separate bowl, combine the gluten-free flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing well.
- Transfer the dough to a bowl, cover tightly, and refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours.
- When you're ready to bake the cookies, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator, and roll the cookies into 1- 1½ Tablespoon balls. Before baking, roll the cookie dough balls in the powdered sugar, being sure to coat each one very thoroughly. Place the cookies on a baking sheet at least 2 inches apart.
- Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes or until lightly crisped on the edges.