Soft, chewy, pillowy, and thick, these Gluten-Free Snickerdoodles are what Christmas dreams are made of!
Christmas is less than a week away. Less than a week! Eeeeeeek. Since I’m still coming to terms with the fact that it’s 2017, I’m sure you can imagine how unprepared I am.
All I have to say is: thank goodness for Amazon Prime and 2 day shipping…. but I digress.
The one thing that is checked off the list though? Christmas cookies. As you know, I’m a pro at procrastibaking so while I may have quite a few presents left to purchase, the cookies are made, frozen, and waiting their cookie tray debut.
PRIORITIES, am I right?
Who can blame me though? Christmas isn’t Christmas for me without a biggggg batch of Snickerdoodles.
Ok, family and Jesus are pretty important too, but: SNICKERDOODLES.
There are a wiiiiiiide variety of types of Snickerdoodles out there – thin and crispy, soft and chewy, thick and crunchy – and I have very strong opinions about what makes THE BEST Snickerdoodle (are you surprised? haha): It must be soft, chewy, and thick.
These gluten-free snickerdoodles are all of that and more! The recipe I grew up making devouring was of the soft and chewy variety (no other way!) but when I converted grandma’s tried-and-true recipe to be gluten-free, I decided it could use a tiny oomph in the thick department, and maybe a tad more softness while we were at it, so I got to tweaking.
By swapping in a little brown sugar for some of the white sugar and adding in an extra egg yolk, these cookies are truly what all Snickerdoodles aspire to be. Pillowy soft, chewy, rich, and thick. I like to think that there’s always room for improvement in every area of life, but when it comes to this recipe it’s game over! They’re perfection.
Sure, I may be a bit biased, but when I shared one with a neighbor – and mind you a neighbor who has no idea that I’m gluten-free – they raved like I’ve never heard someone rave before.
Gluten-Free Snickerdoodle nirvana!
No chilling required for these cookies, either! Which means quicker cookie-to-table time for those of you that were responsible and got your shopping done FIRST, and are now in the great cookie baking rush.
Side note: is there such a thing as NOT rushing at the holidays, in one way or another? Phew.
Can’t wait for Santa to try these out, too. Pretty sure these Gluten-Free Snickerdoodles are going to solidify my spot on the nice list for at least the next 4 years or so.
- 1 cup butter, softened*
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs + 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free vanilla extract
- 3 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour blend
- 1 ½ teaspoons xanthan gum (omit if your blend contains it)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter, 1 cup sugar, and brown sugar. Add the eggs + egg yolk and vanilla, beating well to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine the gluten-free flour blend, xanthan gum (if needed), baking soda, cream of tartar, and ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing well.
- In a small, shallow bowl, combine the remaining sugar and cinnamon. Roll the dough into balls, about 1 Tablespoon each, and then roll in the cinnamon sugar mixture, being sure to fully coat the dough balls. Place on the prepared cookie sheet at least 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until just set and slightly golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes, and then transfer to a wire rack.
On Instagram? Be sure to follow me and tag me in your posts (and use the hashtag #grainchanger) for a chance to be featured!