Creamy, dreamy and decadent, this gluten-free spinach artichoke dip is the perfect holiday appetizer!
Out of alllllllll of the wonderful Thanksgiving foods around, is it weird that I look forward to the appetizers most (and the sides second)? ?
In our family, pre-Thanksgiving dinner snacks are NO JOKE. Seriously, you should see the spread. There’s usually a buffalo chicken dip, a pumpkin dip, a cheese platter that puts all other cheese platters to shame, my mom’s famous chicken cream cheese spread, and, of course, some type of Spinach (and/or) Artichoke Dip.
Suffice it to say, I am yet to sit down to a Thanksgiving dinner with more than a bite or two of room in my belly. (Has that ever stopped me from filling my plate to the brim? Noooo sirree.)
Every year, without fail, you can find me posted up right next to the spinach (and/or) artichoke dip.
What’s all this “and/or” business, you say? Well, some years it’s spinach only, some years it’s artichoke only, but what never changes is that it’s ALWAYS a hit. Since I get to be in charge of Thanksgiving this year (heaven help us all! ?) I decided to do a fun mash-up of my grandma’s famous spinach dip and my mom’s artichoke dip recipe.
Two powerhouses coming together ?. Oh yes, my friends. This one is gold.
This Spinach Artichoke Dip is creamy, dreamy, and, as always, 100% gluten-free!
In mashing the two wonderful recipes together, I decided to go a little heavy-handed with the artichokes (ohhh that beautiful buttery, briny flavor!) and a little light with the spinach — you know, enough to add some color and texture, but not enough that you’re running to the bathroom after every bite to make sure there are no big globs of spinach left lingering in your teeth. You’re welcome 😉
Hostesses (and hosts)! This dip is a major win for yet another reason: it’s a simple make-ahead dish! All of the ingredients are no-fuss, and it can be assembled a day in advance.
In fact, I recommend assembling it in advance – it gives all of the wonderful flavors a chance to marry and intensify! Just prepare everything according to the directions, and then cover with plastic wrap and pop it in the fridge. Then, once it’s juuuust about appetizer time, preheat your oven and pop that baby in. So easy! All you’ll have to do is add about 3-5 minutes to the cook time to account for the ingredients being a bit chilled.
Serve it up with some toasted gluten-free bread (my recommendation? Canyon Bakehouse’s Rosemary & Thyme Focaccia. The pairing is out of this world, and the bread is so good I almost cried when I first tried it years ago!), or you could serve it with some gluten-free crackers or pretzels.
I suppose you could serve it up some celery or carrot sticks, but friends, it’s the HOLIDAYS. #gobigorgohome.
As for me and my house? Warm, toasty gluten-free foccacia all the way!
Needless to say, I am counting down the milliseconds until Thanksgiving app time.
You NEED this in your pre-Thanksgiving spread, at your Christmas party, your New Year’s Eve celebrations, and maybe on a random Tuesday night, just for fun. Trust me.
- 1 can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 3 Tablespoons spinach, cooked, squeezed dry, and finely chopped
- 1 packet gluten-free Italian dressing seasoning
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 ½ cups shredded white cheddar cheese, divided
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 loaf of Canyon Bakehouse Rosemary & Thyme Foccacia
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, thoroughly combine mayonnaise and cream cheese. Stir in gluten-free italian dressing seasoning, 1 ¼ cups shredded cheddar, and parmesan cheese. Gently fold in the spinach and artichokes.
- Transfer to an oven-safe dish.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until just starting to bubble. Add remaining ¼ cup cheddar cheese to the top, and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
- To lightly toast the Rosemary & Thyme Foccacia, slice, place on a baking sheet, and very lightly brush with olive oil. Place in the oven with the artichoke dip, and turn over once during the baking time (15 minutes total). Serve warm alongside the dip.
This recipe was developed in partnership with Canyon Bakehouse. All opinions are 100% my own!
On instagram? Be sure to follow me and tag your recipes #grainchanger so I can see the recipes you make! ?