Bursting with strawberry flavor, this Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free Strawberry Chocolate Chip Quick Bread screams summer!
What’s your favorite thing to bake?
If you had asked me this question randomly a week or so ago, I honestly would probably have completely spaced out and said “ummm muffins, maybe?” While I LOVE a good muffin, I came to the realization yesterday that when I have the itch to bake a more traditional baked good (granola not counted here – you know that’s my #1 go-to 😉 ) it seems to always be a quick bread.
Perhaps that’s because I “won my husband” with my famous banana bread, or because you have more control over the portion sizes when you’re dealing with a loaf (bigger=better. always.), or because it’s less fuss to just throw everything in one pan than dealing with portioning the batter out like you have to with muffins. Regardless of the exact reason why, I’ve realized that quick breads are by far my favorite traditional baking item.
I have what seems like hundreds of possible quick bread permutations floating around in my head. Yes, hundreds. Interestingly enough, a lot of these ideas and inspirations have come from muffin types I have encountered over the years. And the best muffin flavor I have ever had? Strawberry Chocolate Chip. Hands down.
So a gluten-free strawberry chocolate chip quick bread was destined to happen and, no surprise, is now easily my #1 favorite quick bread.
It’s light, it’s super moist, it’s exploding with summery strawberry flavor and is packed full of chocolate. What’s not to love?
For this quick bread, it’s strawberries two ways: purée and chunks. Don’t skip either one! Both are crucial components.
The purée may sound intimidating, but it’s as easy as giving them a whirl in your food processor for a quick 15-30 seconds. Sure, it’s an extra step and extra dishes, but WELL worth it. And you know how I feel about extra dishes. The purée helps the strawberry flavor to permeate every single bite of the bread, and makes this recipe a complete knock-out. And when you let it sit for a day or so on the counter, if you can manage that (good luck!)? The flavor intensifies like you wouldn’t believe.
On my deathbed I just might ask for a slice of this gluten-free strawberry chocolate chip quick bread, 1-2 days after it’s been baked. I’m seriously considering adding it to my living will. Really. It’s THAT GOOD.
Speaking of dying (stay with me here haha), I’m now certain I can die happy knowing I created maybe the best quick bread recipe known to man, gluten-free to boot. Does that mean I’m giving up on other permutations? Of course not! But I can guarantee that (once my oven is fixed – ugh!) I’ll be baking loaf after loaf (after loaf) of this gluten-free strawberry chocolate chip quick bread this summer, straight through the last gasps of summer berry season.
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup melted coconut oil (canola and vegetable also work well)
- ¾ cup strawberries, finely pureed*
- ⅔ cup chopped hulled and chopped strawberries
- 1 egg
- ½ t. vanilla extract
- 1½ cups all-purpose gluten free flour blend (+ ¾ t. Xanthun gum if your flour blend doesn't include it)
- 1½ t. baking powder
- ½ t. baking soda
- ½ t. salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips, plus more for topping
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and coat a 9inch x 5inch loaf pan with cooking spray or grease on all sides.
- In a bowl, combine sugar, oil, and strawberry puree*. Beat in egg. Mix in vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, xanthun gum, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, then mix into wet ingredients. Stir in chocolate chips and then gently fold in the chopped strawberries.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan, and decoratively top with chocolate chips (amount is up to you!).
- Bake for 50-55 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let the bread cool for at least 15 minutes before removing from pan and transferring to a cooking rack. Let the bread cool for at least 30 minutes on the cooling rack before slicing.