Irresistibly crispy and crunchy, Gluten-Free Pumpkin Spice Biscotti are a delightful fall treat. Equally perfect when dunked into coffee or devoured all on their own. Dairy-free, too!
It’s finally fall!
…or is it?
If you’re living in the eastern half of the US, you’re probably with me when I say that Mother Nature either (a) went on vacation, (b) desperately needs to take a peek at her calendar, (c) is getting a serious office prank pulled on her where August (unseasonably cool) and September (hot AF) were flipped in her schedule, or (d) is drunk.
Usually I’m all about a longer summer season, but “feels like” temps of 95 in the last few days of September? I just want to be #basic and drink a [homemade] PSL without sweat running down my back. Is that really so much to ask?
Regardless of the temps outside, I just couldn’t hold out on fall – aka PUMPKIN – baking any longer. Time to crank up the oven… and the AC 😉
Are you impressed I even lasted this long? Pumpkin season usually starts sometime in early July in this house. Or maybe it never really begins or ends. It’s no secret that I can’t get enough.
Even though a super hot, super strong cup of coffee is just about the last thing I actually want right now (keep the iced coffee coming, please and thank you), my body is craving crisp mornings wrapped in big blankets while slowly sipping my coffee and indulging in superbly spiced crispy cookies made for dunking.
While I may not be able to control the weather, I most certainly CAN control the availability of the best darn crispy fall cookie to ever exist: Gluten-Free Pumpkin Spice Biscotti.
Equally perfect with a piping hot cup of coffee or completely on its own. Weather INdependent. Take that mother nature.
Biscotti is one of my favorite types of cookies to bake. In fact, I make a batch almost weekly for Anthony. Weird for someone that prefers my cookies soft and fudgy, I know, but maybe I’m just a lover of extremes. Biscotti are meant to be crispy and crunchy (unlike chocolate chip cookies 😉 ), and these gluten-free pumpkin spice biscotti are just perfectly that.
They’re rich and inviting, packed with all of the fall flavors that we know and love – cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and allspice. And while they are crunchy, they are certainly not dry (big difference!) and absolutely melt into a cup of coffee.
For some reason, many people are intimidated by the idea of making homemade biscotti, but you really shouldn’t be! I’ve found biscotti to be pretty easy and very forgiving. Sure it takes a little longer from start to finish than your average cookie, as the name literally means “twice cooked”, but it’s worth every extra second.
To make biscotti, you form your dough – which will be a little thicker and definitely more sticky than the cookie dough that you’re used to – into either one long, large log (sounds so appetizing, right?) or two skinnier long logs, depending on how wide/big you want your biscotti. As for the length, I usually make mine a few inches shy on either end of the full length of a standard cookie sheet. Then you bake it once, take it out of the oven to cool for a few minutes, slice into cookies, lay them on one side, and return to the oven for the second bake.
See? Not rocket science, and not very complicated either.
I couldn’t resist giving these biscotti both a drizzle and a dunk of [dairy-free] white chocolatey goodness. While they’re fantastic in their most basic form, the drizzle/dunk makes them truly #basic, but in the best way.
So until we can officially breakout our* Ugg boots, oversized sweaters, and PSLs (without sweating) at least we can still indulge in a small, and perfect, bite of fall.
* even if I never have, and probably never will, own a pair, I still like to act hip, cool, and #basic. ha.
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- ⅔ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup pumpkin purée (not pumpkin pie filling!)
- 2 cups gluten-free all purpose flour blend
- ½ teaspoon xanthun gum (omit of your blend already contains it)
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice*
- pinch of black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ cup white chocolate chips (dairy-free)
- Preheat your oven to 300 degrees F. Line a standard baking sheet with parchment paper, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the coconut oil, brown sugar, egg, vanilla extract, and pumpkin puree together on medium speed for about 1 minute.
- In a separate bowl, combine the gluten-free flour blend, xanthan gum (if needed), cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, black pepper, salt, and baking soda, mixing well.
- Add half of the dry ingredients to the wet, mix well, and then add the remaining dry ingredients, mixing for about 30 seconds on medium speed, or until very thoroughly combined.
- Turn the dough out onto your baking pan, and form into one long log, a few inches shy of the pan on either end. If you want smaller, bite-sized cookies, form two long logs.** Slightly wetting your hands will help keep the dough from sticking to them as you are forming the log.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 35 minutes. Remove from the oven, and allow the cookies to cool for about 5-10 minutes.
- Very carefully cut the logs into cookies, with each cut being about ¾ inch deep. Turn the cookies onto one side.
- Return to the 300 degree oven and bake for another 20 minutes, or until hard. Remove from the oven, and allow the cookies to cool completely on the baking sheet.
- If desired, melt white chocolate and drizzle over the biscotti, or dunk the biscotti in the white chocolate, and then allow it to set before indulging.
** If making two thinner logs, reduce the first bake time to 25 minutes, keeping the second bake time the same.
If you make this recipe, snap a pic and tag me on Instagram @grain.changer and use #grainchanger. I love to see what you make!