Intense espresso and chocolate flavors are packed into every cluster of this Gluten-Free Mocha Granola. Coffee addiction has never tasted so sweet!
Alternate titles for this post:
Caffeine Any Way I Can Get It
Mocha Granola: Saving One New Mom at a Time ?
Sleep? Ha. Mocha Chip Granola Instead.
As you may know, Anthony and I welcomed our first child – a beautiful baby boy – into the world a couple weeks ago. Motherhood is simultaneously the hardest thing and most rewarding thing I have ever done to date. With a very real stress on “the hardest.” I’m one of those people who really, truly needs a solid 8-9 hours of sleep to function even close to normally, and let’s just say sleep has been a bit elusive these days.
The only thing getting me through (aside from my AMAZING husband’s love and support)? My beloved caffeine. THANK GOODNESS for less strict caffeine intake limits on the magical java now that our baby boy is on the outside!
Our Moka Pot has been getting a serious workout, and I may have even been desperate enough to make a cup or two of
water Keurig coffee (GASP). And YES – I’ve even been sneaking espresso into our food in the form of mocha overnight oatmeal and this glorious mocha granola.
If an IV drip of espresso were actually a real thing, you better believe I’d be first in line. Any medical trials going on? If yes, PICK ME.
Chocolate is obviously a staple these days too (sugarrrrr <3 ). I mean, I just birthed another human – if that isn’t reason to be able to eat chocolate as a reward any time the craving strikes, then no one on this green earth deserves a bite of chocolate basically ever. Mamas – can I get an amen?
Ok, the chocolate thing might be a TAD about extra ways to sneak in more caffeine, but we’ll just quickly gloss over that one before you have me carted off to caffeine rehab 😉
In all seriousness (and caffeine addiction aside) this granola tastes exactly like luxurious “me time” feels. Take a bite, close your eyes, and TRY to feel like you’re not in your favorite local coffee shop chatting with your girlfriends or being whisked away by your favorite novel. It’s impossible.
…reason number 3,457,349,732,487 why I’ve been absolutely pounding this mocha granola non-stop. Me time? What a concept. 😉
While I haven’t had much time (or many hands) to use this granola as a supplement or topping for other delicious foods, Anthony tells me it makes a killer combo with greek yogurt, as a topping for ice cream – particularly coffee ice cream – and even sprinkled on the stop of some peanut buttered toast. I don’t know about you, but I am drooling just thinking about any/all of those options!
To all my fellow sleep-deprived humans out there, let’s raise a (caffeinated) glass and toast to another delicious remedy for keeping ourselves awake, alive, and [somewhat] functioning.
- 2 ½ cups gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 ½ cups sliced almonds
- 1 cup whole almonds, roughly chopped
- ½ cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ⅓ cup melted coconut oil
- ⅓ cup fresh brewed espresso*
- 3 Tablespoons maple syrup
- ⅓ cup + 2 Tablespoons honey
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F, and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine gluten-free rolled oats, almonds, uncooked quinoa, and cocoa powder, stirring well.
- In a separate, smaller bowl, combine the coconut oil, espresso, maple syrup, and honey.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients, stirring until fully incorporated. Spread the granola out into a thin layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 25 minutes, then remove the granola from the oven, stir, and spread out into a thin layer once more. Bake for another 10 minutes, remove from the oven and stir once more, and then return to the oven for 5 final minutes of baking. Remove from the oven but DO NOT STIR this time, and allow to completely cool.