Packed with fruits, veggies, and tons of protein, this refreshing Triple Berry Power Smoothie is the perfect summertime fuel.
If you haven’t noticed yet, we tend to get in serious food obsession cycles in our household (example: #allstrawberryeverything) where we eat and eat and eat something until one of us (usually Anthony) says “can we cool it on _______ already?!” or the seasons change and we are on to the next seasonal obsession.
Right now? We are alllllllllllll about the smoothies. Specifically, this Triple Berry Power Smoothie. And there are no signs of stopping anytime soon.
For me, summertime eating is all about fueling up with cool, refreshing meals/snacks that pack a serious nutritional punch but won’t weigh me down. This smoothie fits the bill p-e-r-f-e-c-t-l-y!
It’s packed with antioxidants (berries! ♥), fiber, lots and lots (and LOTS) of protein, satisfying carbs, and TONS of vitamins and minerals. It’s cold (perfect for the hot summer months!), invigorating, and it’s filling without being the least bit heavy.
Oh, and did I mention that it’s ridiculously tasty?
Sometimes when I’m gulping one down post-workout I have to stop and pinch myself to make sure I’m not dreaming because: “is it really possible for something that tastes this rich and indulgent to be completely and utterly healthy?”
What exactly makes these ingredients so powerful and good for you?
- Mixed berries – Blueberries, blackberries and raspberries deliver an amazing amount of antioxidants (glowing skin and boosted immune system? yes, please!) not to mention a healthy dose of fiber and the perfect amount of natural sweetness.
- Spinach – Have you SEEN Popeye’s muscles?! Need I say more?! I will anyways: Spinach is an excellent source of vitamins K, A, B2, C, iron, magnesium, calcium, folate, potassium, and MORE.
- Almond Milk – Lower in calories than cow’s milk, almond milk is also loaded with essential vitamins, minerals and heart-healthy monounsaturated fats.
- Banana – A GREAT, natural carbohydrate source to keep you full and fueled. PLUS: even more vitamins and minerals!
- Greek Yogurt – With about 15 grams of protein per ½ cup, greek yogurt will provide some serious staying power AND will help you build those sleek muscles you’ve been working so hard for.
- Protein Powder – Totally optional, but I’ll never say no to more protein since I always seem to be struggling to meet my quota for the day! Protein is SO, important!
Mix these 6 things together and you’ll have so much power that you’ll be curling 50 pound dumbbells with your pinky fingers while running a mile in half of your usual time.
Ok, that might be a tad extreme, but not too far off 😉
One of the things I love about smoothies (especially this one!) is how forgiving they are.
Trying to boost your protein intake? Add an extra half or full scoop of protein and then maybe just add a splash of extra almond milk to thin it out a bit — or just enjoy a thicker smoothie!
Trying to up your greens? Add an extra handful of spinach. You’ll barely even notice!
In the middle of a serious chia seed obsession? Why not let them join the party!
Looking for a way to add some healthy fats into your diet? Replace a tablespoon of greek yogurt with almond butter.
Take the smoothie into your own hands and have some fun with it!
This food obsession? I think this one’s here to stay, my friends.
Because: I’ve got the power.
- ⅓ cup unsweetened almond milk (any any other milk of choice)
- ⅓ cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 banana, fresh or frozen
- ½ cup frozen mixed berries* (raspberries, blueberries, blackberries)
- ½ cup fresh spinach, packed
- 1 scoop natural or vanilla protein (about 2 Tablespoons)
- Add all ingredients into a blender.
- Blend until all ingredients are fully incorporated and pureed, about 2-3 minutes.